Baked Mash Potato Cakes
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 400g potatoes, peeled and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup pancetta, or bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Cook potatoes in plenty of salted water until cooked through. Meanwhile gently fry onion until translucent and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, pancetta, onions, butter and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the texture with a bit of milk if necessary.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On the baking sheet, using a ring mould, sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs, then scoop potato mixture to shape the cakes, about 1.1/2 inch thick. Press down slightly with the back of a spatula and finish with another thin layer of breadcrumbs. Remove the ring mould and repeat the process.
- Bake in the oven at 190°C for 10 minutes, or until golden and serve warm.
- Note: You can add grated parmesan cheese on top of the potato cakes.