Minutes for BUG meeting, 16th March 2017
1.45 pm Carnforth Railway Heritage Station
- Present: Jim Davies, Abi Mills, Eric Jones, Margaret, David Cox, Dorothy Pearce, Ken Pearce, Duncan Foster, John Keegan, Paul Legon, Heather Kellett, Mel Guilding, Andrew Drummond, G.J. Beckett, Pauline White, Roger Frankland Apologies: Paul Gardener, Grace Donhue, Tim Hamilton Cox, Alec Crouch, Drusilla Nesbitt, Carol Gardener, Richard Scott, David Barnes, Steve Clarke, Joy Greenwood, Gina Dowding, Mary Searle-Chatterjee, Brian Wearing
- Presentation by Jack Waring from Glasdon Group Ltd (about Bus shelters)
Jack Waring gave an interesting presentation about the development of the bus stops Glasdon are designing and took feedback from members as to what is important for passengers in bus stop design. AM asked if they could put a new prototype bus stop on Keswick Road, Lancaster, as the stop there is in desperate need of replacement. They said this could be a possibility and will arrange to come and visit the site.
- Number 18 bus
JD gave an update on the service that is now running. Fixed funding £15000, that will last 19 months. £65000 will also be available from Miller homes (Leisure Park houses) s106 money as well in the near future. BUG organised a launch event, which received good press coverage. BUG also printed 500 leaflets and delivered to the area of the route. THC delivered stagecoach leaflets too.
- Kirkby Lonsdale Coach Hire increased timetable for service 8 and 9
Due to KLC having a bus freed up, as no longer running no 18, so services to Ryelands and Bowerham have been improved.
- Service review by Stagecoach, which routes do we want looking at?
6a – Lancaster needs to be every half hour
Mellishaw Lane Retail Park – could route change make it work?
Mossgate Park/Windermere Park – needs a bus service!
Leaflet to advertise tickets – Lancaster Bus Guide was produced last April, with map. Much more user friendly – need to make sure it is kept up to date, it needs no 18 on
Uni along A6 – buses full by time get along Greaves Road – still happening
Need a re-run the Give up your Seat campaign at the beginning of every new academic year
1840 Lune Valley service – bus needs to be officially timetabled to Kirkby Lonsdale. Bus could come back through Wittington, Arkholme and Halton.
Split 81 services to go to both sides of the Lune Valley
Circular Bus serving Kirkby Lonsdale, Ingleton and Wray – has anyone every looked at this?
Could later buses be reinstated to and from Kirkby Lonsdale and Lancaster?
Wray to Kirbky Lonsdale – needs to be some buses
Stagecoach will be invited to next meeting in May
- Update on Local Transport Plan – nothing to report, as what happens will depend on the outcome of the Local Plan Consultation
- Local Plan consultation – how can bus users get their voices heard?
Please respond starting public transport need to be taken into account. AM will send out a link to the consultation with minutes of this meeting.
- Greyhound Bridge works and what effect it will have on the buses
Need to wait to see what Stagecoach say, BUG may get involved with helping with publicity about how this will effect services.
- Membership renewal
Members have been asked to renew membership if not already done so. Steve Clarke will be sending reminders to those who still need to pay.
- Date and time of next meeting
11th May- 6 pm, The Cornerstone, Lancaster
Mary Searle-Chatterjee asked Halton Parish Council for funding to improve a bus shelter in Halton, it now has a new seat installed and the shelter has been painted.
Summer timetable 755 will be coming though at 10.25 so will improve the connecting in Carnforth if using 51
Mel Guilding reported that the 49 service will be going through Highfield Estate, hopefully by end of March. MG will let us know when this will start.
Dales Bus – will be 3 services.
One – Northern Dalesman run by Preston Bus
Two – Mallam Tarn Shuttle – KLC starting in Lancaster
Three – Bowland Exporer – Travellers Choice – start in Lancaster
Will be a concessions ticket at £7 and £1 for single trip for ‘under 19’s, but children under 16 go free with the holder of a Dales Rover ticket.
Dales Bus leaflet – timetable is now available at bus station and details are on the BUG website
Northern Rail have funded these services
Agenda for next meeting – BUG day trips to use the buses!