On Monday of this week I attended both the AGM of the Parish Council and the PC Meeting which followed it. In due course Gillian, the Clerk, will be publishing the minutes in the usual way. I have the opportunity to expand on selected sections of the PC Meeting in a manner that would be impossible in normal Minutes. This is the first item of particular interest.
A discussion was held on the proposal for a PC owned Website. The following information was released during the discussion.
The three people pursuing the matter are Kate Manders, Jim Williams and Pat Close. In their report to the PC they said that two domain names were available.
These domains have been registered by the team. The registration is with 1&1 Internet SE (TLDs). 1&1 also provide a do it yourself web design service and can also provide hosting.
The site would have the following format:
- Static Pages containing village information, and can link to existing sites where applicable;
- News Pages divided into various categories such as, Parish Council, Village Hall, Parochial Church Council and General;
- A Documents Section holding Parish Council Agendas and Minutes and any other documents which may require to be made public;
- The team are considering having a classified section on which trades people can advertise services for a small annual fee, this will help with the running costs if required;
- If anyone wants to make comments then they can email to a central email address;
- The website would be owned by, and be the responsibility of, the Parish Council. They can nominate someone to operate the site but ultimate ownership rests with the Parish Council.
- The team propose that a limited number of people have the ability to post news and information to the site, mainly members of the Parish Council, the Village Hall Committee, the Parochial Church Council and someone to cover general news.
If approval by the Parish Council goes ahead today (Mon 15 May 2017), the site could be operational by the end of June 2017.
The proposals is that the information ages include the following: News around the village, a Classified Section, a photograph gallery and Community Events. We propose that the News pages be updated regularly and posted to display the most recent. We will include an online calendar including when events are happening and items like Village Hall bookings. Anyone needing to add items will need to contact the Administrator.
Hosting Costs etc:
Jim Williams has already registered the two potential Domain Names. At a cost of £7.18, including a first years hosting. Ongoing costs are likely to be in the region of £100 a year and a monthly hosting of £5 a month and ongoing Domain Registration £35 a year. These costs can be repaid by the Parish Council, with a grant fund being available. All the advertisements in the classified section would be charged at £10 a year.
My existing website and Blog:
When the PC Website is up and running I am taking the opportunity to remove all “Newsy” items, forthcoming events, Contact addresses for PC and VH members, as well as links to the PC Agendas and Minutes.. I have discussed this with Gerald and he is quite happy for me to continue receiving his “Musings” emails and publish them on both the website and Blog. All the History, Local Walks, Sturgeon and Hodgkin pages etc. etc. will continue.
In particular the Blog will maintain its role as the “official opposition” highlighting matters that concern the community.
This will come as a great relief to me because the biggest pain is the frequent updating called for.