Chilled Rum & Raisin Rice Pudding
- 600ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 100g pudding rice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g caster sugar
- zest 1 lemon, pared with a vegetable peeler
- single cream, to serve
- For the rum & raisin syrup
- 100g raisin
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 100ml dark rum
- 25g butter
- Combine the milk, cream, rice, vanilla, sugar and lemon zest in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring gently to a boil, stirring continuously. Once bubbling, turn the heat to low and gently simmer for about 45 mins, stirring frequently to stop it sticking, until the rice is just tender. Lay a sheet of cling film directly on the surface of the rice, cool to room temperature, then chill until cold.
- To serve, combine the syrup ingredients in a small pan. Melt together, and then bubble until syrupy for 4-5 mins. Cool for a few mins while you loosen the chilled rice pudding with some single cream (it will have become more solid) – just gently stir in a splash at a time until it’s spoonable. Divide between serving bowls and top with some warm rum & raisin syrup.